Require Registration to Post?

Request a custom signature, show off your own artwork, post your photos, or take a poll on an important issue here.

Should we disable posting by non-registered users?

Poll ended at January 25th, 2007, 9:20 pm

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes : 16

Require Registration to Post?

Postby Curulan » January 18th, 2007, 9:20 pm

Okay, folks. Time to put this to vote.

Due to spam issues recently, I am considering forbidding non-registered/not-logged-in users to post on the forum. You will still be able read the public forums without logging in or registering.

Vote lasts for one week.
Curulan
Clan Leader

Postby zipcat » January 18th, 2007, 9:26 pm

I hope it goes threw with a Yes. We have so many people posting junk and advertisements, and many of those are very... distasteful. And every one of them are by Guests... so this would help.

Sure, we get friends on as Guests, but it would be best for them to create an account anyways. A bit of their time is worth keeping the forums cleaner.
zipcat
Clan Member

Postby bow4lyf » January 18th, 2007, 11:14 pm

Well, on the other side, most guests turn out to be users. They would want to test the interface. And, in the end, they sign up.
Image <---- Say "Hi" to Phillip! ^^
bow4lyf
Clan Member

Postby Joe » January 19th, 2007, 2:56 am

I'm really kind of fifty fifty on this. yes there are those peeps that are random forum spammers, just trying to advertise, and that's annoying, but then there're also the people who are interested to a point, might pop in as a guest and decided, hey, we treated them fairly and stick around a bit. I've always hated totalitarian governments and the likes. I think to a point it's worth putting up with a bit of spam to have some active members. I like to be able to let loose now and then.
Joe
DC Councillor

Postby James » January 19th, 2007, 3:33 pm

I say yes, because not only will we remove people who come here and post on guest accounts, but I'm hoping we'll get rid of those pesky "guest" posts that pop up when the forum automatically logs us off.
James
RP Councillor

Postby Curulan » January 19th, 2007, 7:39 pm

Another point to consider is that a large number of forums on the 'net already require you to register to post.
Curulan
Clan Leader

Postby bow4lyf » January 19th, 2007, 8:55 pm

Yeah, that is a very good point. I second Thomas!
Image <---- Say "Hi" to Phillip! ^^
bow4lyf
Clan Member

Postby TBeck » January 19th, 2007, 10:34 pm

whos thomas?
TBeck
DC Councillor

Postby zipcat » January 20th, 2007, 1:22 am

It looks like I'll keep looking forward to a Titan forum without the problems guests have bringing us. I'm sure that it won't keep other people away because it's easy to register, still.

Yay for no advertisements.
Last edited by zipcat on January 20th, 2007, 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
zipcat
Clan Member

Postby Curulan » January 20th, 2007, 1:34 am

Yes... and can we keep real names off the boards, unless people want them posted?

Thanks.
Curulan
Clan Leader

Postby Ominous » January 21st, 2007, 8:59 pm

I said no. We have problems, and can deal with them; there are some good people (read: oldies) who don't register first.
Ominous
Clan Ambassador

Postby Cheshire » January 21st, 2007, 10:37 pm

I'm gonna say no. Although the spam has been annoying, it hasn't been a lot of span and the admins and mods have been able to keep it under control. Do we really want to deter people from posting here simply because they don't want to register an account?

In short, while the spam isn't giving us problems, I say we don't change to account-only.
*DC Name: Cheshire3 (send all mail & packages there)*

(Personal List Records)
Fame: #6 - 30k (2/22/09)
Skill: #4 - 23k (12/12/08)
Guild: #6 (2/15/10)
Cheshire
RP Councillor

Postby mikey taylor » January 21st, 2007, 11:39 pm

i said no because i think its inconvenient for people who want to stop by and say hello every once in a while
I'm a real big tymer
mikey taylor
Clan Member

Postby Tharris » January 27th, 2007, 5:56 am

well i didn't get to vote although i am pretty much retired...

my vote is no, a resounding NO!

let me get this straight... we are constantly complaining about not having enough activity so we are going to ban people from being able to post... no matter how you slice it this is what you are doing... when i was working as an ambassador i would post probably 3 or 4 times before registering at every board i went to... in short im just curious why we complain about inactivity and then shut down a revenue for activity... i realize it's work for the admins but they shouldn't be admins if they can't handle it... yeah this will probably get me into trouble but someone needs to come out and call you on this stuff come on people this is ridiculous listen to yourselves.

~tharris
tharris (lots of them) of Titan

AIM: hawkeyebp
E-mail: hawkeyebkp@gmail.com
Tharris
DC Councillor

Postby Joe » January 27th, 2007, 6:05 am

Hoorah for you. It's about time someone had the balls to say something like that. when I was being more active and all that a while back I was constantly trying to come up with ways to actually get people to post, not stop them from it. almost any other clan out there, you go to their forum and they have a section specifically for spam. why are we such elitists that we want to scare away posters? this is supposed to be a community, and fun. people go to the tavern, the main section for just chatting, to chat, let loose a bit, have fun, not to run into thirty thousand rules of things they can't say and ways they can't act. spam is fun sometimes. sometimes it takes joking around, cutting up and all that jazz before people really feel like being themselves. there are prospective new members out there waiting to be welcomed in, to have a place where they feel comfortable. a stuffy, strict, no nonsense clan doesn't really appeal to the crowd that we most reach. this is, first and foremost a forum based on a GAME.

come one, come all and enjoy a fun environment, spam it up, enjoy the company.

joe
Joe
DC Councillor

Next

Return to Titan Art Gallery & Polling Place