Pluto is totally NOT a planet.

Have a seat, have a drink, walk among friends, all of this can be done in the Golden Griffon, Titan's official tavern.

Postby TBeck » August 24th, 2006, 11:12 pm

TBeck
DC Councillor

Postby Curulan » August 24th, 2006, 11:26 pm

Ominous is right. The argument that you are using, Joe, is mostly perpetuated by the naysayers who want people to think that Wikipedia is crap. More often than not, however, it gives useful information that is difficult to find elsewhere on the 'net.
Curulan
Clan Leader

Postby bow4lyf » August 24th, 2006, 11:50 pm

Ominous wrote:Well, Wikipedia is massively watched-over by moderators who change anything unverified back and will commonly ask an expert to verify it and cite their words with other articles that've been published. So, while some smaller articles are incorrect, most big ones (like this) are well-taken-care-of.

Anyway, Pluto not being sustained as a planet is good. It shows astronomers can admit being wrong, or change their minds with new data. It's like slavery: For years and years we said it was right, but then changed our minds.

So, if you support Pluto being a planet, you support slavery. And do you really want to support slavery?

Slippery slope, I admit. But it gives a good point. :P

I concur Curu too! I did researches of my paper sometimes on WIKI.

Pluto is best out of our astronical minds because not even the slightest chance do we have to make any major biggy out of it. Pluto not only exists so smally, the rarety of the alignments between the Earth and Pluto could be a problem.
Image <---- Say "Hi" to Phillip! ^^
bow4lyf
Clan Member

Postby Joe » August 27th, 2006, 2:44 am

I'll just say it on this thread real quick. the information I'm using about wiki is not by naysayers but by the majority of my college professors, as well as many other univeristies around the country, not allowing the use of the wikipedia in papers because of its unreliable nature.

not trying to start a fight here, I just have grown increasingly tired of the spins that nearly all levels of politics and news has played over the years and how readily people take that information and throw it out without verifying anything.
Joe
DC Councillor

Postby bow4lyf » August 27th, 2006, 11:40 am

LOL! Funny thing Joe. I know that the information is unreliable and repeated told my teacher that. But when it comes to writing papers and researches, my teacher time over time tells about us the site WIKIPEDIA. So, I can see how Wikipedia's some false information has influenced people.
Image <---- Say "Hi" to Phillip! ^^
bow4lyf
Clan Member

Postby Curulan » August 27th, 2006, 12:51 pm

Joe wrote:I'll just say it on this thread real quick. the information I'm using about wiki is not by naysayers but by the majority of my college professors, as well as many other univeristies around the country, not allowing the use of the wikipedia in papers because of its unreliable nature.

In this you are correct, Joe -- at least for the part I bolded. Bow did not seem to get the point I was trying to make.

Wikipedia is, when the day is done, simply an electronic, user-contributed encyclopedia. Encyclopedias, by their nature, are not valid research sources.

For a thesis/paper/research project/whatever, you should only use primary or secondary sources. Encyclopedias should only be used to increase the researcher's/student's general knowledge of the subject. This is something that has been taught to me since High School.
Curulan
Clan Leader

Poor Pluto.

Postby RazielTheReaverOfSouls » August 27th, 2006, 6:41 pm

Well, Wikipedia is massively watched-over by moderators who change anything unverified back and will commonly ask an expert to verify it and cite their words with other articles that've been published. So, while some smaller articles are incorrect, most big ones (like this) are well-taken-care-of.

I can vouch for that, I made a Wiki about myself once. Got a message saying "We do not recognize the importance of this person or event." Such an ego buster...

I pity Pluto though. It was a neat little planet. And what about the poor people whose birth planet was Pluto? Mine is Mars sure, but it sucks to be them.
RazielTheReaverOfSouls
Clan Member

Postby Ominous » August 27th, 2006, 9:27 pm

Guys, move the Wikidiscussion over to the Wikipedia thread. That's why I made it. :P

Pluto not being a planet...yeah. Seems kind of old, now, eh? 8 is a better number than 9, anyway. Round.
Ominous
Clan Ambassador

Postby RazielTheReaverOfSouls » August 28th, 2006, 12:30 am

Okay. Then lets just mock Pluto from afar. Or is it so lame it doesn't even deserve the capital 'P'?

Free Will Is An Illusion
RazielTheReaverOfSouls
Clan Member

Postby Strife » August 28th, 2006, 7:23 am

What happens to the puppy Pluto? Will he be affected or disgraced by this horrific news?[/quote]
Strife
Frost Knights

Postby Tordek » August 28th, 2006, 1:12 pm

Pluto is a planet!
Tordek
RP Councillor

Postby RazielTheReaverOfSouls » August 28th, 2006, 6:24 pm

I think we'll have to call him Planet X for now. Or at least until they name the not so new one.

Free Will Is An Illusion
RazielTheReaverOfSouls
Clan Member

Postby Tordek » August 28th, 2006, 7:38 pm

Pluto doesn't fufill the gravity requirement? Or which is it that's not fitting to the accepted defintion?
Tordek
RP Councillor

Postby RazielTheReaverOfSouls » August 28th, 2006, 8:00 pm

It doesn't have an orbit of its own around the sun and... I think there was some other deal too, about stealing Venus' orbit or something. but its not size, because lil mercury would be in trouble too.

Free Will Is An Illusion
RazielTheReaverOfSouls
Clan Member

Postby Curulan » August 28th, 2006, 8:37 pm

RazielTheReaverOfSouls wrote:but its not size, because lil mercury would be in trouble too.

Dude, Mercury is huge compared to Pluto.

According to Wikipedia (don't even get into that argument here; use the other thread for that)
Equatorial Diameter of Mercury: 4879 km
Equatorial Diameter of Pluto: 2306 km
Equatorial Diameter of Earth's moon: 3476 km
Curulan
Clan Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Golden Griffon