Steampunk, Anyone?

Have a seat, have a drink, walk among friends, all of this can be done in the Golden Griffon, Titan's official tavern.

Steampunk, Anyone?

Postby jadewik » November 26th, 2008, 12:40 pm

I don't know how many of you are familiar with the genre of Steampunk, but I'm starting to notice that I really enjoy it.

I didn't know what Steampunk was about 3 to 4 years ago. I sort of stumbled on a Steampunk/GasLamp Fantasy comic strip called "Girl Genius" written and illustrated by Phil and Kaja Foglio (who usually narrate/run the CosPlay event at the SanDiego Comic Convention-- very BIG event). From there, my love of the genre grew.

Steampunk is something of a combination of modern technology, the steam era, and Victorian clothes. "Influences include Jules Verne and H. Rider Haggard. Expect big, clanking Victorian-style tech, old-fashioned clothes, Frankenstein monsters and airships. Lots and lots of airships." (source)

Some people get REALLY into it. They've, in fact, started up a whole Steampunk Convention (it was Halloween weekend). I heard it was a success... and I've seen a video someone made of various costumes and things at the convention. (Video can be watched here at You Tube)

... and I've recently gotten hooked on Steampunk band Abney Park. Their music is fantastic, I think. Great beat, fun lyrics, excellent presentation!
If you're going to look them up, I'd suggest the following songs:
Sleep Isabella
Airship Pirate
The Wrong Side (unofficial video link)

... or this compellation from the Steampunk Convention

Anyone else know anything "Steampunk"? =)
Clan Titan:
Role-Play Characters: carnelianfire & Ebon-Ashe

Posted Artwork Shared Under Creative Commons
Attribution - Non-Commercial - Share Alike 3.0
jadewik
Clan Webmaster

Re: Steampunk, Anyone?

Postby Agustus » November 26th, 2008, 1:45 pm

id like to say that one of my favorite games may fall into said category
./Hack G.U.
even though in the game your playing as the rogue Haseo
the other classes ingame in clude a "Steam Gunner"
you get to ride a "Steam Bike"
and if your interested in reading the ingame history it talks about how steam became the main powersource instead of magic though magic is still used
so on and so forth
Agustus
Clan Member

Postby jadewik » November 26th, 2008, 3:37 pm

Got a link, Gus? =)
jadewik
Clan Webmaster

Postby Joe » November 26th, 2008, 8:20 pm

I love the steampunk genre. I first heard about it several years ago by a comic book that was, shock and awe, called steampunk. It was written by ... I want to say Jeff Loeb, but I am not sure, and I'm too lazy and or busy to feel like looking it up right now, and it was illustrated by Chris Bachalo. It was good great fun and sparked my interest into other types of steampunkery. If you actually read my character sheet, you might pick up that I was mixing steampunk and magic in the world he originally came from, a roleplaying game I was creating before my life got hellishly busy. Anyway, I'll probably talk more about it later, I'm busy and have to run.

The end....
Joe
DC Councillor

Postby James » November 26th, 2008, 10:40 pm

A game called "Arcanum" probably got me interested in things Steampunk, though it had magic as it did technology.

Awesome game, by the way.
James
RP Councillor

Postby LightSol » November 27th, 2008, 10:28 am

darn James , while i was looking at the topic , i was already thinking of Arcanum to mention it as a great game related to steampunk :P but as we can see you beat me to it XD
But yeah anyways, Arcanum seriosly is one of the best RPG's out there and its steampunk with magic , you can pretty much get anything you want there, a super fireball wand, or a shotgun with a snipers scope and such :D
But yeah, steampunk is great, me and my mates back here are playing 2 steampunk rpgs currently, as in PnP rpgs
LightSol
Clan Member

Return to Golden Griffon