So. Tell me

Have a seat, have a drink, walk among friends, all of this can be done in the Golden Griffon, Titan's official tavern.

So. Tell me

Postby Carzal » November 23rd, 2008, 12:01 am

About your DND games. Who's in it, what you've done, and which version you are using. 4.0 or 3.5?
I used to have a whole bunch of titles, I think. That probably makes me better than you. Maybe.
Carzal
DC Councillor

Re: So. Tell me

Postby LightSol » November 23rd, 2008, 2:54 pm

Hey, we haven't got anywhere far actually, saddly the times and my hospitalisation ruined a few possible games so yeah, we are playing by the 3.5 since in my opinion 4th ed. just isn't dnd anymore :/ Anyways, they got through a horrid storm and in to an ruined tower, and fended off against a pile of rats and some hobgoblins, and thats about it :/ i would love to continue the game, just that currently, we cant figure out what time to run the games so it would be likeable for everyone.
if you would want to join, and had some ideas what time the game could be run than you are welcome though ^^
LightSol
Clan Member

Postby Carzal » November 23rd, 2008, 8:23 pm

Ah, cool. 3.5 rocks, I haven't really even tried to get into 4.0, and all of my campaigns are 3.5 anyways. Sounds cool. I doubt I could join; with every new person you add to a game, the more difficult it is to get together and do it and my schedule isn't regular enough for me to comit to something like that. Among my friends we only really play during the summer and winter breaks.
From what I saw, you live in Europe somewhere, and the others are scattered across North America? Ouch. A six hour + time difference is difficult to deal with.
I used to have a whole bunch of titles, I think. That probably makes me better than you. Maybe.
Carzal
DC Councillor

Postby LightSol » November 24th, 2008, 8:54 am

yeah well, its 10 hour difference actually :P and anyways, as i said we have 2 people who are players, one of whom cant play these times, so that would make 2-3 players so the get togethers shouldnt be too hard ;)

By the way, have you played d20 modern?
LightSol
Clan Member

Postby Joe » November 24th, 2008, 8:32 pm

4.0 is the best thing that has happened to dnd ever.
Joe
DC Councillor

Postby LightSol » November 25th, 2008, 2:46 pm

IMO you could compare 4.0 to MAC , it is for users not gamers , it has been simplified to the nill.
For me, one of the most fun things is the skills, which are so many that it feels so great that you finally get to do something cool with them, while in 4.0 they are just a few.
Main races have been removed, and some freaky ones placed behind.
Imho, it is a genericly good system , but its NOT dnd.
LightSol
Clan Member

Postby Joe » November 25th, 2008, 8:04 pm

I would quote myself, but, well,

the best.

3.5 was clunky, it was like a brick house with crap used for the mortar
Joe
DC Councillor

Postby zipcat » November 25th, 2008, 10:26 pm

I've only played one game here thanks to Light, but I've watched a few before.

My character is a female half-orc lawful neutral druid. I actually rolled an 18 for the wisdom, too, which apparently makes it pretty powerful. I'm sure you can tell I don't know much, but the game is still fun.

As for what version I guess as a beginner I couldn't care much, but I remember when version 3 came out how many people clutched their 2 or 2.5 books.

I'm sure someday it'll be the same with 4 and whatever new one is next.
zipcat
Clan Member

Postby Curulan » November 26th, 2008, 1:20 pm

3rd/3.5 Edition was definitely simpler, with the advent of the d20 standardization, but I still prefer 2nd Edition.

4th Edition is just crap. CRAP. It was designed with a younger audience in mind. Personally, I think they should still publish the books for all editions.
Curulan
Clan Leader

Postby James » November 26th, 2008, 10:43 pm

Curu! 2nd Edition! *high five*
James
RP Councillor

Postby LightSol » November 27th, 2008, 10:21 am

Actually i myself also prefer the older versions , but the thing is that it is way WAY more difficult (which is what i like about it :) ) , but since most people dont like it to be so difficult , 3.0/3.5 came out , and some fun things were already nerfed, but in general , it became the perfect dnd since it was usable for everyone while still keeping the nice little kick to it.
And now , 4.0 comes out, removing any of the remaining strategising and anything of the sort which is awesome for gamers, or roleplayers as such, and creates a pink pony, yes a frigin pink pony, and i think THE man would shoot the guys who created it >_<
As Curu said, its made for a much younger audience (10-13?) , comon, the books are even in some freakish colours and presented quite childish, and comon, if 3.5 was cluttered, then they could atleast remove the useless parts to cluttless? it up instead they removed all the fun things that was in 3.5 (although there werent any useless things anyway :P)
so yeah.
The light states that 4.0 is a piece of crap that shouldnt be touched with an 11 foot pole because its range is probably more than 10 or even 15ft :P
LightSol
Clan Member

Postby Carzal » November 27th, 2008, 11:39 am

People clutched to 2.0 and 2.5 because 3.0 was widely considered to be terribly broken.
I think that 4.0 makes it easier to create campaigns (not sure, I haven't actually played 4.0, but my main DM says so).

And WHY would you be a half-orc female druid? No seriously. What? What? Half-orc, also known as, Good for nothing? If you need strength, go wood elf or something. Half orcs! Gah!

*mumbles about something*

Although druids pwn like there is no tommorow.
Just not when they are half-orcs.

You have three people in the game: A druid (half orc!) and who else?

Also, zeh ten hour thing is HORRIBLE. I have no idea how you guys are managing to do it at all. one person has to get up at like 8 and the others at 6. I suppose 10a,-8pm wouldn't be so bad, but it would be a short game.
Carzal
DC Councillor

Postby LightSol » November 27th, 2008, 2:15 pm

lol easier to create campaigns? our community randomly creates new systems on which we ocasionaly play, and creating campaigns isnt that hard, just think of a quest line, drop some monsters here and there, and the rest is pure improvisation :/ , maybe thinking of some puzzle or something of the sort before each session is needed but seriously , its nothing that hard creating campaigns :P

And anyways, why half-orc you might ask? roleplaying purposes, afterall , why do people play bards , since they suck at anything they do, its the same answer : roleplaying, its just fun , not everything has to be about powergaming :D

And no way, you think i didnt notice it when i got up at 7:20am and started the session without even going to the toilet ? xD

But yeah, if it removes the problems, i could run star wars or maybe shadowrun or d20 modern :P
LightSol
Clan Member

Postby Carzal » November 28th, 2008, 1:20 pm

Yeah... but HALF-ORCS! I mean, Comeon! they're half orcs!
And yes, bards are generally stupid unless you have a party with too many people (which I do... we had 4, then we got up to 7 somehow. I really do not know how. but then two dropped out two of them only came occasionally).

I was talking 'bout fights and the fairness of the fights for campagin building.
Carzal
DC Councillor

Postby LightSol » November 28th, 2008, 1:55 pm

myeah , half - orcs do suck , but do you know who sucks more? half-elves :P

Anyways, about the fairness, after lvl 2-3 onwards most fights should be weighed against the player :D
LightSol
Clan Member

Next

Return to Golden Griffon