Vista

Have a seat, have a drink, walk among friends, all of this can be done in the Golden Griffon, Titan's official tavern.

Vista

Postby zipcat » May 21st, 2008, 8:22 pm

After my laptop was stolen I realized how much it needed to be replaced anyways. Last week I was sure I'd get Windows XP again, until my friend pointed out that soon--much like the Windows 9Xs--Windows XP will no longer have updates or new fetures. I had many doubts about Windows Vista based off of reviews I had read and their criticism. I've read it would lock up and become useless if I try to 'steal' stuff, and that its security was easily broken; especially when the user gets tired of saying "Yes I clicked that button not some virus" all the time.

Then I looked into Macs. What changed my mind there is that Apples have always been the cheap computers to me. That and I always get frustrated with their setup. I thought of switching to Linux for a while. It wouldn't be too hard to adapt with the newer versions. But I'm stubborn and even though I don't like the Wii I'm still a Nintendo fan; just as I'm staying with Windows for a while.

I remembered how it was when XP came out; it wasn't great until its second major update. So I figured Vista would be the same way and got it. If by then it disappoints me Linux is easy to install.

But now that I have it, it's not so bad. Other than that it came with the computer zombifier known as Norton.

What plans do you have with your next computer?
zipcat
Clan Member

Postby Ominous » May 21st, 2008, 9:54 pm

I've worked on a lot of OSes. I had such a short turnover with Windows computers that about a year ago I decided to splurge a bit and get a quality computer that wouldn't break.

A Mac.

I'm staying with Apple and OSX for the foreseeable future, since their stuff doesn't die on me.
Ominous
Clan Ambassador

Postby Curulan » May 22nd, 2008, 12:36 pm

Vista works, but its too "attention-needed" for my tastes (as in, having to click "yes, I really do want to do this" more often than not).

My plan is to use XP until I get a new computer. At that point, I'll switch over to Ubuntu and possibly dual-boot XP or Vista for the programs I can't find Linux analogues for.
Curulan
Clan Leader

Postby Carzal » May 22nd, 2008, 4:46 pm

ehem.
I used to have this friend. Let's call him... "B Ferber". Ah well, that might be too obvious. Lets call him "Ben F". He sometimes pretended that he had a different name that is actually a word.
He got a mac. And we never saw him again.
And I learned a lesson here. Friends don't let friends use macs.
I don't blame Vista for my computer rebooting NavyField constantly, I blame GOD, and possibly an evil syndicate that carn probably chairs. Vista is irritating in some respects (the checking) but it's a good upgrade from the old XP.
I used to have a whole bunch of titles, I think. That probably makes me better than you. Maybe.
Carzal
DC Councillor

Postby Ominous » May 22nd, 2008, 7:20 pm

Wait, if you never saw him again, how could I possibly be
Ominous
Clan Ambassador

Postby jadewik » May 22nd, 2008, 8:00 pm

Carzal, are you jealous of my evil syndicate? I mean... the evil syndicate I supposedly chair.
jadewik
Clan Webmaster

Postby Tordek » May 22nd, 2008, 8:58 pm

Tordek
RP Councillor

Postby Gakhan » May 22nd, 2008, 9:30 pm

mac FTW!

and when i cant find the program for mac, i dual boot windows too.

seriously macs, especially once you use it for more than a few minutes, are YEARS ahead of windows. they are so much smoother of an operating system.

im converted for life, mac FTW!
Gakhan Val'istar :: Killer of Shadows :: Shadowwalker
Gakhan

Postby James » May 23rd, 2008, 3:16 am

Bluh, why get a Mac when you can get a better version of a Unix based system.

Speaking of which, I need to start delving into that. I hate Vista, so it's XP for me, typically.
James
RP Councillor

Postby Curulan » May 23rd, 2008, 12:24 pm

Tordek you slacker, get back here!
Curulan
Clan Leader

Postby boywonder » May 24th, 2008, 12:30 am

what are these strange things you speak of? what's a mac, or an update? i built this commodore 64 back in the early 80s and it still works just fine for me!

My friends all call me old scratch and I am a Capricorn
My turn ons are romantic walks and killing the unborn
boywonder
Clan Ambassador

Postby Ekehart » May 24th, 2008, 2:17 am

Haha...I call Vista the computer HIV ((Pronounced as a word, not three letters)). Yet, I'm forced to use it on my laptop. It's all right.

And remember the slogan:

"Macs! They just work...until they don't. And then you can't fix them without breaking warranty!"

Eke
Ekehart
Clan Member

Postby Twist Rolarian » May 24th, 2008, 5:06 am

"Thank you for calling Dell Tech Support."

"So your computer quit working after installing Vista SP1."

"Yes, I know it sucks. So how can I help you?"

-- My typical day at work.
Twist Rolarian
RP Councillor

Postby James » May 24th, 2008, 4:25 pm

I love support people.

Which, I suppose, means I love myself.

Yay.
James
RP Councillor

Postby boywonder » May 25th, 2008, 12:40 am

i've actually been throwing the idea around to create a support group for support groups. so far i'm the only member, and technically not a legit one since i'm not in any other support groups, nor am i a support person of any kind.

hmm...

My friends all call me old scratch and I am a Capricorn
My turn ons are romantic walks and killing the unborn
boywonder
Clan Ambassador

Next

Return to Golden Griffon