So I was feeling a little adventurous tonight...

Have a seat, have a drink, walk among friends, all of this can be done in the Golden Griffon, Titan's official tavern.

So I was feeling a little adventurous tonight...

Postby James » May 4th, 2008, 2:49 am

and decided to watch "The Blair Witch Project." I'd heard a while ago when it came out that it was pretty scary, but I never got around to seeing it.

To put it bluntly, I thought it was stupid. Interesting ideas behind it all, but the bad guy wasn't corporeal enough for me to be happy. I would have been satisfied with a quarter of a second flash of a hand, or something like that, or perhaps more of what the bad guy was actually about. It didn't explain anything other than there's this thing, potentially a man or a ghost or a witch, who has killed people. A lunatic described the witch idea as being covered in head to toe with fur (as a horse, she said) which is kind of interesting, but there's nothing else. No explanation for the dolls (were they being hung?) no explanation for the thing the girl found (Josh was still alive later and crying for help, whose thingy did she see? [spoiler pulled out{not sexual lol}]), no explanation for why Mike stood in the corner (I have an idea, will explain later) and nothing given as to how anyone would die. Just that they were dying.

So yeah, about Mike standing in the corner. I think what happened is that they went so insane that when it came for the time to see who was going to kill him he was completely broken. So when he saw whatever it was, it pointed to the corner and he dropped the camera, where the girl (I can't remember her name bah) filmed him for a brief moment. What do you think?

Sorry if there's spoilers in here at all, I pulled out the one I think that wouldn't ruin it for you.
James
RP Councillor

Postby Carzal » May 4th, 2008, 11:00 am

they talk about how the witch used to make one kid wait in the corner, remember? that was what he was representing.
The whole point behind the blair witch project was that they basically took three teenagers, put them in the woods and then messed around with them. Two of them actually had to have alot of therapy afterwards.
I used to have a whole bunch of titles, I think. That probably makes me better than you. Maybe.
Carzal
DC Councillor

Postby James » May 4th, 2008, 2:09 pm

Yeah, I know about the myth and him standing in the corner- that's why I said that whatever he saw pointed him into the corner so it could kill Josh, because Josh was still alive. Pay attention :P

That's interesting that two of them needed therapy afterwards, though. I can't blame them- standing out in the middle of nowhere in pitch black with wtf sound effects going on would be quite freaky, even if you knew what they were.
James
RP Councillor

Postby jadewik » May 4th, 2008, 2:48 pm

I didn't think the movie was scary at all either. I saw it in the theaters when it first came out. I was laughing through the whole movie. It was just 3 kids in the woods investigatng an urban legend, but they let their imaginations run wild. I did "get" the scene at the end showing the guy rocking back in forth in the corner too. I thought that was poetic, but they needed more of that sort of scare throughout the film to make it a really good psychological thriller. I think a lot of people got scared because the movie was billed as being "a true story".... *shrug* whatever.

The house "set" is somewhere in Maryland. I haven't personally been there, but my husband has a fun photo of himself standing in "the corner". If he finds it, I'll scan and post. =)
jadewik
Clan Webmaster

Postby Carzal » May 4th, 2008, 9:19 pm

I would describe it rather as "nauseating". The camera moving back and forth across a black screen as they run through the night? We watched this at my 13th birthday party or something and half the people felt sick.
I used to have a whole bunch of titles, I think. That probably makes me better than you. Maybe.
Carzal
DC Councillor

Postby boywonder » May 5th, 2008, 3:12 pm

i went in to the woods with some friends. when the blair witch came by we took bats to her and made her stand on her head in the corner. this also is a true story. lol

My friends all call me old scratch and I am a Capricorn
My turn ons are romantic walks and killing the unborn
boywonder
Clan Ambassador

Postby mikey taylor » May 5th, 2008, 4:24 pm

i'm just like carzal. we watched it at my friends birthday around age 13, we got it on pay-per-view and all had headaches afterwards. i guess i didn't really understand it, i just thought it was not that scary
I'm a real big tymer
mikey taylor
Clan Member

Postby James » May 5th, 2008, 9:57 pm

There actually isn't much to understand, which is why it's so hard to understand. They give you next to nothing and then expect you to be scared.

Oooh, creepy. Not.

lol. I don't get seasick easy. I do like the camera style, as watching Cloverfield prompted me to watch this movie, but the characters were so lame and the plot so stupid I really didn't like it.

(Yes, I liked Cloverfield.)
James
RP Councillor

Postby Carzal » May 5th, 2008, 10:41 pm

*stares at James* wait... what... you are saying there was a PLOT?
I totally missed that part. was that before the random scene in the forest or after it?
Carzal
DC Councillor

Postby James » May 5th, 2008, 11:19 pm

However bad it was, there was a plot. lol
James
RP Councillor

Postby boywonder » May 5th, 2008, 11:49 pm

the plot of cloverfield in one sentence:
American version of Godzilla poops crazy spiders, all taken from a person's video camera perspective.

lol needless to say i hated that movie

boywonder
Clan Ambassador

Postby James » May 6th, 2008, 6:49 pm

You look only at the overview of the movie. The emotion, the close knit familiarity between the characters, the development of their personas and the varying tribulations they have to face at every step sells the movie for me. I thought, "Oh, great, these guys are obviously kind of mid to upper class spoiled kids who have high school drama," but my perception of them changed throughout the movie... I felt as though they really WERE trying to survive and that chances were so incredibly unlikely it kept me on the edge of my seat.

BW, you don't know the rest of the plot (though I don't either), which is what makes it even more interesting for me. Where did this monster come from? Why is it destroying things? How does it choose where to attack? What exactly are the spiders that spawn from it? Etc, etc.

I've put a lot of thought into all of this and it makes sense to me what I have come up in terms of conclusions. It's fun and has become my favorite movie because of the intellectual engagement it gave to me and I enjoyed it thoroughly for that and for the survival story. To me, it's more like "Godzilla meets Starship Troopers meets Resident Evil" (the games, *cough*). I lurved it.
James
RP Councillor

Postby boywonder » May 7th, 2008, 3:23 pm

i actually thought Conan the Conquerer with good old Arnold had better acting in it that this movie. Those "mid to upper class high school kids" needed punched in the face, to drop their daddy's $500 video camera, and get their butts in gear running away from "StarhipZillaEvil" or however you want it dubbed.

i would like to see iron man fight this guy though... and i definitely would love a nasty match between iron man and any of the transformers. that'd be one sexy fight. WOOOOO!

boywonder
Clan Ambassador

Postby Carzal » May 7th, 2008, 5:32 pm

except that in the movie they got rid of Hot Rod, AKA Rodimus Prime.

RODIMUS PRIIIIIIIME
Carzal
DC Councillor

Postby jadewik » May 7th, 2008, 5:43 pm

boywonder wrote:i actually thought Conan the Conquerer with good old Arnold had better acting in it that this movie.

Do you mean "Conan the Barbarian" or "Conan the Destroyer"? I love those movies... cheezy as they are. Those are classic flicks, yo! ... and the dialogue is great! Mehehe.
jadewik
Clan Webmaster

Next

Return to Golden Griffon