Important: Major update to the forum coming!

Have a seat, have a drink, walk among friends, all of this can be done in the Golden Griffon, Titan's official tavern.

Important: Major update to the forum coming!

Postby Curulan » October 25th, 2007, 1:25 pm

Normally whenever I add something to the forum, I just make the change and then count on you to let me know if something breaks. ;)

However, the change that I have planned is a very large change in functionality, so I want to give you all advance notice. At some point this weekend I plan on making the change.

What it will do is change how threads are marked as "read" or "unread". The default method for phpBB is to store a cookie on your computer. This cookie indicates which threads are marked as "new". If you log out (which resets the session data of the cookie), or the cookie is deleted, the read/unread status of all threads/posts are reset to "read".

This change will move that tracking to the database itself, so that each individual post will be stored in your profile as read or unread. You will also have the ability to mark specific posts as unread for future reference.

Because of the amount of code I am required to change, I want to give you all advance warning. I may need to disable the board for longer than normal. As always, please let me know if the upgrade breaks anything. I will not be doing this until Friday night or Saturday morning at the earliest, so if you have any objections to this change, please speak up now.
Curulan
Clan Leader

Postby Ominous » October 25th, 2007, 11:09 pm

Will there be an option to mark all posts read, or do we have to read them one by one?
Ominous
Clan Ambassador

Postby Curulan » October 26th, 2007, 7:19 pm

The option of "mark all posts read" will not go away.
Curulan
Clan Leader

Postby Curulan » October 27th, 2007, 1:13 pm

The update has been made, and it seems to have not broken anything obvious. Let me know if it is not working as intended, please. :)
Curulan
Clan Leader

Postby Joe » October 29th, 2007, 3:12 am

everything seems to be working well for my computer, which is actually a first, usually this thing logs me out randomly when I'm navigating through pages. maybe you unwittingly fixed something while you were at it.

edit: I spoke too soon, as soon as I posted this the first time it logged me out again. le sigh.
Joe
DC Councillor

Postby James » October 29th, 2007, 3:40 pm

The pages seem to be loading more quickly. O_o
James
RP Councillor

Postby Ominous » October 29th, 2007, 3:41 pm

I agree. I think it was a good idea/update. Thanks, Curu!
Ominous
Clan Ambassador

Return to Golden Griffon